PERFORMANCE LINCOLNSHIRE

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

New driver restrictions 'would save lives'

GT
    GT
    Progressing through the ranks

New driver restrictions 'would save lives' Empty New driver restrictions 'would save lives'

Post  GT Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:51 am

Newly qualified young drivers should be banned from night-time motoring and carrying passengers of a similar age, Cardiff University researchers say

They said such "graduated driver licensing" for those aged 17-24 could save more than 200 lives and result in 1,700 fewer serious injuries each year.

Similar schemes already exist in New Zealand, Australia and parts of the US.

But motoring organisations say the limits - which could last up to two years - would be difficult to enforce.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote
    Graduated driver licensing works in other countries and there's no good reason why it wouldn't work here”
    End Quote
    Dr Sarah Jones

Cardiff University
    The research will be presented at the World Safety Conference, which will hear from other experts on how road safety could be improved.

While road deaths have now fallen to an all-time low, 2,222 people still died on the roads last year.

Experts at the London conference will argue this figure can be reduced even lower with more restrictions and greater awareness of risks.

'Wrong signals'

The Cardiff University study was compiled after analysing road accident data from 2000 to 2007.

Research suggests one in five new drivers crashes within the first six months. The Cardiff team says that by targeting them with graduated driver licensing, many accidents might be avoided.

Cutting the UK's accident rate would also save the economy £890m, the team estimates.

Dr Sarah Jones, who led the research, said: "Graduated driver licensing works in other countries and there's no good reason why it wouldn't work here."

She said restrictions on new drivers could be in force for as long as two years and could also include a total ban on alcohol.

But the head of road safety at the AA, Andrew Howard, suggested while there would be benefits to graduated driver licensing, they could be outweighed by the disadvantages.

He said it could penalise those who work at night and need to drive, while police may struggle to crack down on those who flout the rules.

"It would give totally the wrong signals to introduce new laws aimed at young people and then not enforce them - many would feel that all motoring laws could be broken," he added.

Music 'danger'

A spokeswoman for the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents also cast doubt over whether the scheme could be properly enforced.

Continue reading the main story
    Bereaved father's view
    Terry Jones' daughter, Louise, 16, was killed with three of her teenage friends in Powys in 2006, in a car driven by an 18-year-old man who had just passed his test.

"They should abolish the driving test completely.

"These children are not being taught how to drive at all, they are being taught how to pass a test.

"Instead, there should be a driving log - similar to aircraft - where learners have to log 200 hours with an experienced motorist.

"They should drive at night, in the sunshine, in rain, snow, ice, on the motorway - under instruction at all time.

"There should also be limitations on the number of passengers.

"And parents have got a big part to play... some of these 17-year-olds are driving brand new cars.

"Personally I think if these children go out and kill, and parents have bought the car, the parents should be charged with accessory to manslaughter, just the same as the driver."
    She said she wanted to see more evidence about how it would work in the UK, adding that improving education and awareness with further training for new drivers might be more beneficial.

University of London experts will also put the case for more 20mph zones, arguing it could help reduce injuries - particularly in deprived areas.

Their research will show that those in deprived areas are twice as likely to be killed or injured than those in affluent areas.

The Department for Transport said most new drivers wanted to be responsible, but a small minority put themselves and others at risk.

It said a new independent driving element would be added to the current test, allowing candidates to demonstrate their ability to be safe in more realistic situations.

A spokesman said: "We are considering what other steps we can take to improve safety for new drivers.

"In doing so, we need to ensure we do not unfairly penalise responsible young people who rely on driving to get to work or college."

Meanwhile, the Tune into Traffic campaign group will stress the dangers of listening to music while driving and walking.

Tune into Traffic's Manpreet Darroch, who has helped produce an advert warning about the risks of being distracted by music, said: "This is of particular importance as the usage of iPods and MP3 players has significantly increased and young people's lives are being destroyed unnecessarily."

psbarham
    psbarham
    Admin
    Admin

New driver restrictions 'would save lives' Empty Re: New driver restrictions 'would save lives'

Post  psbarham Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:09 am

I think its a good idea, also they should restrict the power of cars the same way as they restrict bikes, say max 1000cc until your 21, and then 1600 upto 25.

Kids don't take pride in their driving anymore, its seen as a necessity or a god given right by most whereas when I started it was a privilege so we took pride in being better, faster, safer drivers.
    GT
    GT

New driver restrictions 'would save lives' Empty Re: New driver restrictions 'would save lives'

Post  GT Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:20 am

thats rubish just coz i car can do 130mph dont mean kids will try to get that fast max speed i done in my saxo was 90mph
    Danzul
    Danzul
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Danzul Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:58 am

lookk at the majority of boy racers and younger driivers now tom, including your self. even i was a bit over eager to drive quickly when i passed.

i think it is a good idea
    the majority of road deaths are caused by younger drivers trashing there cars.
    they have no respect for cars as i regularly witness them being thrashed beyond believe through town, bouncing off the rev limiter in first and second.

why do you think our insurance costs so much????
    GT
    GT

Post  GT Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:57 am

true
    dannysgirl09
    dannysgirl09

Post  dannysgirl09 Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:22 pm

I have to say that i agree with Paul and Dan on this one mate because in all fairness we really are'nt as sensible as what we should be in cars and even 90mph is a stupid speed to be going at anyway. i cant beleive i am saying this but i think those rules would be best of applied not only to boy racers but also to women as well because in all fairness we women do have a terrible habbit for crashing cars, (but in defense for us boys i do have to say that at least when we do it, it is usually oy bumps and scratches not massive smashes that total the car)and no that was not me trying to be sexist in any way because i saw that it applies to women as well but i had to make the point because as much as i disagree with the fact that we dont take pride in our cars because i think somethimes the younger generation do generally tend to want to improve there cars and keep them nice for the fact that it boosts egos and make them feel good so on that one i have to disagree but we generally as a rule for all young drivers arnt safe i wouldn't mind having those sort of restrictions in place. i mean how many times did you learn to drive in the dark before you actually took your test fair play if you dont try you will never learn but things like that need to be made standard so that people do not what there doing all the time. i cant belive how many times i hear my dad a lorry driver for some 20 years now curse young drivers on the road because having passed our test we magically forget that we arnt the only car on the road and that lorries can cause alot of damage but we think that we can take them on.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:14 pm